I meant to do this when my son turned a year old... but things got busy, I had other deadlines... and ok, I forgot. BUT I am going to do it now.
In the first year of a mom, I learned a lot. And I do mean A LOT: Beyond how to change a diaper, use a breast pump or mix formula. I learned about myself, my family, and life in general. Here are a few big ones that come to mind.
1. As a mom, I forget A LOT. I used to have this awesome memory. Not anymore. I don't know whether it is the result of sleep deprivation, our busy schedules, or just having one human being consume so much of my attention... but I just have such a hard time remembering the simplest things.
2. My weirdness/ goofiness/ quirkiness is an asset. Especially when trying to entertain a fussy young child.
3. I thought I liked chocolate a lot more than I actually do. Coffee and cheese rank above chocolate. I figured this out when I went on a strict diet in order to be able to accommodate my son's allergies and continue breast feeding.
4. My family is pretty awesome. My mom has been there for my husband, son, and I during some of the hardest times we've had as a family. My dad is able to entertain my son with a 1...2...3... My in laws couldn't be any better. Even though they have very busy lives of their own, they make sure we know they are just a phone call away and there if we need anything. Its such a comfort knowing we have an amazing family as our backbone.
5. I can make a song out of anything if I need to. And now I even do it while in public without thinking.
6. Messes will be made daily... and I will clean the same areas multiple times daily... its nothing to stress over. Also I've been pooped on, peed on, and thrown up on... its not a big deal.
7. I know who my true friends are. And I do my best to do whatever I can for them.
8. Amazon is awesome. And Amazon Prime is the only way to go. Awesome for inexpensive everything. Clothing, shoes, diapers (I save $10 per box of diapers through their subscribe and save program)
9. My son is not big on sleeping. I do the best I can by keeping a routine during the day and at bedtime, keeping the house dim in the evening, and making sure he is fed, dry and comfy. Once I have done my best... the only other thing I can do is go with the flow and make the best out of the situation. So that's what I do.
10. Organic coffee really is SOOOOOO much better!!! (Kicking Horse Coffee is THE BEST coffee I have ever had)
11. I have discovered LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics for their skincare and I am now OBSESSED
12. Being a mom is the HARDEST job ever. I have never been so tired, so tested, or pushed to the extent I have been this past year. But I have also never experienced so much joy or love in my entire life. My son's laugh can turn my entire day around and a hug and smile from him is the best part of my day.